Featured post

NEWS: Totally Pawsome Policies for Interviews and Reviews - Thundermouser

  Hail Mighty Readers and Rollers of the Maths Rocks, We love to interview people in the TTRPG scene so if you are in one of the following r...

Thursday 27 April 2023

INDEPENDENT TTRPG CREATOR INTERVIEW: Radley Stuckey

Creators for TTRPG's can be found everywhere and everyone brings something fun to the genre, and at times, quite zany, here we had the opportunity to catch up with Mad cap tweeter and possibly Howlin' Mad Murdoch for Millenials, Radley Stuckey, who's Friday night games set in his world of Auwym, are popular with his players.  Here we managed to grab a word with the goblin minded creature in a sentient moment... 


Totally Pawsome:  As a creator of modules for TTRPG's, what inspired you to write the one you're most proud of?

Radley Stuckey:  To be fair, what I am writing is more of a setting then a module. The way I see it if the mechanics of the game are the bones and muscle, I am providing the skin and tattoo's. My inspiration comes from a love of classic sword and sorcery, real world history, memes, video games, film and books; in a blender, set to puree.

What I am most proud of aside from connecting everything, is how from a simple what if question led to a whole rabbit hole of knowledge. In this case, seeing a video game called Blasphemous, I was like 'hmm catholic Spanish gnomes??' mainly due to the fact the main character in said game has a pointed hat. 

Some research later and there's all sorts of things that Spanish history can be adapted easily to my version of gnome. 

disclaimer; I don't think Spanish folk are gnomes.


TP:  What would you say is the best selling point of your TTRPG's?

RS:  I'd like to think that what my setting brings to the table  is something a little tongue in cheek that has a dark edge , yet whimsical. Think Willow (the film) crossed with a very dumbed down of LoTR with a pinch of Pratchett. 


TP:  Why the TTRPG space?

RS:  I love TTRPG's, having a dense warhammer background (both fantasy and 40k) and painting mini's I guess it was inevitable that I'd dabble in roleplay. Will draw the line at LARPing though. Im game for fancy dress but thinking I'm a sword master when a sword is made of foam... feels like alcohol should be involved, and I no longer drink. Plus not to stereotype but there's always someone who takes it way to seriously.


TP:  What is your favourite product that you produce and why?

RS:  Favourite product... I answer that with favourite part (s)  and even that I don't think I can per say. Any Divine intervention from the list of God's I have as well as the main events in the history timeline of the Continent of Tribian and to save myself from prattling on, a part I have enjoyed is the little things, like the flora and fauna, brewed drinks and the exports that are distinctive to the nations in Tribian. Can I tempt you with Beetroot wine from Stroedenheim? It has a very earthy bouquet. 


TP:  What is your current work in progress and what can you tell us about it?

RS:  Currently revisiting Pratchettshire, was in development called Tomseers (its an anagram of Somerset) where in short (to excuse the pun) is a halfling dominated nation that goes from knights of the round table to a militarised Vatican inspired country. the main event that defines the nation is what is known as The Callus Insurrection which is totally not inspired by The Horus Heresy from Gamesworkshop.


TP:  Who do you think would love to play your TTRPG's and why?

RS:  Anyone that loves the whimsy and has a dark sense of humour like I have. The group I currently DM for are very much interested in the world I have made, which considering they are green as grass players is a boon to my own confidence, making me put on the best I can, which in turn makes their experience all the better. I am very lucky to have a group of gents like them.


TP:  Where do you see your TTRPG writing career taking you in 5 years?

RS:  I hope to get my writing published, the whole wizards of the coast fiasco concerned me a bit. I intend to carry it on regardless. I have also discovered Osprey publishing who do a miniature agnostic game called Dragons Rampant. It be amazing to see armies from my setting manifest on the board. Progenies of Pravdos marching alongside their Menaurosian allies against the Sapphire Guard of Agarvel and their dragon overlords would be awesome to see on the tabletop. 


TP:  If you were given the time and opportunity to develop something unique, what would it be and why?

RS:  Aside from what I am writing, actual miniatures of heroes, villains from my setting. that would be zenith for me. That or something Sci fi. usually producers (says me) have a fantasy product and a sci-fi one. I mean look at Bethesda with the Elder scrolls and Fallout.


TP:  Who do you admire in the Independent TTRPG writing space and why?

RS:  Not Matt Mercer, or MCDM. Ill tell you why, one I am not basic, secondly I fell MCDM bollocks its viewer for sucking as a DM/ player. That is not to say I haven't heeded these two masters advice. I have, I guess my contrarian nature instinctively goes against the grain.

However Noah Antwiler gets credit. Used to go by the name of The Spoony Experiment, and while he has fallen from grace (sort of, the man has gone through some shit) his roleplaying stories are something to be listened to and enjoyed. 

Additonally Adam Cobell aka Skinnyghost. Another master in TTRPG who unfortunately caused a bit of upset live in a roleplay session but that aside (to be fair and from my own opinion after seeing the footage, yeah its a bit on the nose, but the person who felt 'attacked' needs to know that its make believe; unless they have experienced something in the real world. That's why session zero is soooooooo important. 

Also Matt Mercer needs to get a bloody haircut. I'm not saying that due to hair envy... honest. Plus he's so ruddy nice. It's like the Ed Sheeran of nerds. I mean he's a handsome chap and humble with it to... which just makes it all the more urrrgh about it all. But if you want some entertainment, go and watch the Mythica series. I mean as fantasy films go, its beautifully trash, yet I have watched all of them, but Mercer plays the villain and by God its (chef kiss) brilliantly bad/good. 

oh yeah his voice acting is top notch but still... 


TP:  What got you into TTRPG's in the first place?

RS:  Thats a Good question. First roleplay experience was playing Paranoia (praise the machine) which was interesting and then playing DnD with the dreaded 3.5 edition but in short after some time hating DnD and moving up to somerset from Torbaydos I got into 5th edition and well the rest is history. 

No comments:

Post a Comment