Featured post

NEWS: Totally Pawsome Policies for Interviews and Reviews - Thundermouser

  Hail Mighty Readers and Rollers of the Maths Rocks, We love to interview people in the TTRPG scene so if you are in one of the following r...

Tuesday 27 June 2023

TTRPG INDEPENDENT ARTIST INTERVIEW: Claire Gray

Sam Miller
As a person who's only just learning to draw (from a lot of You-Tube tutorials, ed.  Me Thundermouser, not the interviewee)  I'm always fascinated when I see others who have worked hard on their craft and learned different mediums so that they have not only a few strings to their bow, but so that they can take what they need wherever they go and be able to create.


Claire Gray, is one such artist who moved to digital art and now produces a webcomic (Coffee Club Adventures and her own Autobiographical Webcomic) as well as custom illustrations to order from people all over the world, whether they want a ttrpg character or a portrait of themselves


Here we grabbed a word with the artist with a quirky merch store, to learn a little more about them and also how the ttrpg community made them feel not only welcome but also allowed through her skills to become a full time artist...


Falcata Times:  As an artist, what comes first for you, the story or a snapshot and why?

Claire Gray:  The story of a game I’m playing usually inspires my art because of the fact I get mental imagery from gaming with a group of players and the storyteller. We often call this the minds eye, which is how I often decide what to sketch

When it comes to character creation I come up with a sketch first and build the story and personality afterwards 


Rene Glow
FT:  What would you say sells your art to people?

CG:  My business strategy is to make comics accessible on social media to advertise my portrait skills so people can come to me for commissioned work, so far it’s been successful enough that I can be a full time creator.


FT:  Why the TTRPG space?

CG:  Throughout my life I have been an obsessive gamer, I met a group of ttrpg players in 2002 and joined and played with them consistently, my gaming experience expanded to many more groups, these people became my found family and their friendships majorly inspired me artistically, I usually create art about my life and experiences, and the ttrpg community is a really big part of my life.


FT:  What is your favourite piece that you've created and why?

CG:  It’s a hard choice to pick one favorite piece, my current favorite is my newest OC from a Shadowrun campaign I will be playing soon that my creative partner, James Sheridan will be running online. (Image in attachments) Her name is Rene Glow, she is a technomancer and she has glow in the dark fur, hair that changes colors according to her moods, rainbow eyes, and fangs


FT:  Coming up with a piece is often an idea that gets written into a journal to come back on. How often do you find yourself working on one piece and another comes to mind and can you give an example?

CG:  I’m a speed artist and I can finish a piece in less than an hour, sometimes I will create line art first and color it later, so I can have several panels I’m working on coloring at once. I model my comics after manga which is typically black and white with flashy color covers


FT:  What do you think is most inspiring about your pieces and why?

CG:  I’m told the positive messages in my comics help people by my fans, I have inspired young and old to pick up a pencil and sketch, I believe my prolific art creation inspires others to learn.


Shade Glow
FT:  Where do you see your artwork taking you in 5 years?

CG:  I would like to be able to travel to fairs and conventions to sketch portraits and OC art live for people and put my speed to use


FT:  If you were given the time and opportunity to create anything you wanted what would it be and why?

CG:  I’m working my way towards publishing comic books and I would eventually like to design action figures 


FT:  Who do you admire in the fantasy art community and why?

CG:  Nina Modaffari is a game developer that is part of the ttrrpg community that greatly inspires me with their work.


FT:  What got you into TTRPG's in the first place?

CG:  Genuine love of gaming, especially social gaming, the beautiful art displayed in the system books grabbed my attention and hooked me.


No comments:

Post a Comment