Featured post

NEWS: Totally Pawsome Policies for Interviews and Reviews - Thundermouser

  Hail Mighty Readers and Rollers of the Maths Rocks, We love to interview people in the TTRPG scene so if you are in one of the following r...

Thursday 20 April 2023

INDEPENDENT TTRPG CREATOR INTERVIEW: Carson Daniel Lowmiller


Its always good to get in on the ground floor with a new independent creator, however whilst Tales of Myriad has been in development for a few years, its found its publisher thanks to layout artist HTTPaladin.  Coming soon to to backerkit or Kickstater, if you're interested you can go to their discord for a preview of the game and when it goes live for funding, the creators want the backers to access the game to provide feedback which when the project goes live, stretch goals will include additional text and artwork.


Here we've been lucky enough to have a chat with Carson to find out a little more about his creation alongside how he see's himself developing, join us now as we get to learn a little more....  


Totally Pawsome:  As a creator of (modules for) TTRPG's, what inspired you to write the one you're most proud of?
Carson Daniel Lowmiller:  Well, I’m very proud that I’ve managed to get so far with my first project “Tales from Myriad”, the inspiration for which came from various JRPG’s, a love for exploration, and being a GM myself. A lot of these elements are what drove me to develop the various mechanics and tools in the game!



TP:  What would you say is the best selling point of your TTRPG's?
CDL:  Both how easy it is to pick up,  how it serves both the players and the GM with its aforementioned charts, and the art style. As an illustrator, I was able to develop something unique in that regard, concerning what is currently available in the TTRPG space! As for the tools, there are a lot of things in Tales from Myriad that can be transferred over to other games as the flowcharts are more conceptual than spelled out - a level of applicability that I personally find useful regardless of the system.


TP:  Why the TTRPG space?
CDL:  Easy, I love TTRPGs haha. I was/am a GM, so a lot of the tools are things that helped me - but it was also designed in a way that would let me enjoy being a player since I always had a very clear vision as to what a “game” should entail, which left me as the “forever GM”.


TP:  What is your favourite product that you produce and why?
CDL:  I’ve only got the one currently - Tales from Myriad! Its currently my favorite because of how far its gotten regardless of how new I am to the space. I feel very lucky.


TP:  What is your current work in progress and what can you tell us about it?
CDL:  I always have multiple things on the stove! Of which include a small brigade-and-story-based wargame, a horror board game, a tough “liar's dice” inspired combat system, and quite a few more.


TP:  Who do you think would love to play your TTRPG's and why?
CDL:  People who love fashion, exploring, creative problem solving, and getting into the mechanics of a game. There are so many fun ways to really take advantage of how much you can physically affect the world around you! I personally love Final Fantasy Tactics and Discworld, so if you like fantasy that floats along that river, you’d probably like Myriad!


TP:  Where do you see your TTRPG writing career taking you in 5 years?
CDL:  If I don’t up and make my own publishing company, I will always be making and releasing smaller projects. I’d love to make TTRPGs more accessible to people, so I think smaller projects are the way to go.


TP:  If you were given the time and opportunity to develop something unique, what would it be and why?
CDL:  Either a team-based 3D Tales from Myriad game that plays like a MOBA mixed with splatoon, or a tactics-style isometric Myriad game. I don’t have lofty goals, I just want people to be able to play more games haha.


TP:  Who do you admire in the Independent TTRPG writing space and why?
CDL:  Anyone who ever finished a project ever. Lord have mercy, I thought this would be 80% making the game, 20% getting it out, but making the game is genuinely only 30% (depending on your goals).



TP:  What got you into TTRPG's in the first place?
CDL:  I always made games, as a result of being bored. I remember seeing the 4e D&D Book and buying it with my limited money as a kid, and pouring through the art. Never played it, but it sparked the conversation with my brother and dad about if they’d ever heard of D&D, to which they sat in stunned silence, both having decades of experience with it between them (and never bothering to tell me about it, apparently). Wound up starting a Pathfinder game with them a few years later (we were a busy family).

No comments:

Post a Comment