Featured post

NEWS: Totally Pawsome Policies for Interviews and Reviews - Thundermouser

  Hail Mighty Readers and Rollers of the Maths Rocks, We love to interview people in the TTRPG scene so if you are in one of the following r...

Tuesday 25 July 2023

INDEPENDENT TTRPG MINIATURE SCULPTOR: Mike-Lee Whitaker - Tytantroll

I'm Dave. I'm 29 i've been sculpting for 12 years. I've been sculpting miniatures for 6, starting in 2017. But i've been sculpting for Patreon on a monthly basis for nearly 4 years, since September 2019. I haven't missed a single month. I'm very fiscally driven, I sculpt miniatures for DnD but i've never played DnD, i don't particularly like DnD, And i'm extremely burnt out, wassup. Ask me anything. 

(All images in this article are sculpts by Tytantroll.)

Totally Pawsome:  How do you work out which themes to create pieces for?

David-Lee Whitaker:  I make whatever i feel like i want to sculpt for the month. I bare in mind what will be popular, the usability of it across different themes to boost sales as much as possible. 

I have a keen interest in anything fantasy, it helps if i can reuse the same bases across multiple models too which so i can create ~10 models, bundle them up and ship them off. 

I love goblins too. The only reason I don't do goblins every single month is because basically, I have a customer base to keep happy. - So they may get a tiny say every now and again. But if i'm TOLD what to do, that goes to the back of the list - naturally. 


TP:  What would you say sells your miniatures to people?

DLW:  Renders. Renders sell the miniatures. when people see my work, they're usually instantly fooled into thinking that its a real miniature painted with some kind of black zenithal wash (so i've been told - I've never painted a miniature before. But, if fooling people into looking further into my work. I'll keep doing it. Eyes on = sales. 


TP:  What is the turn around time from designing a concept to having it ready for printing?

DLW:  I have a guy who designs miniatures for me on a monthly basis for a week. His sketches take a few hours to come up with each, designing things. and I take a few hours and produce this. We've worked together for years on multiple projects. So we know what we like. Shane Cook. Check him out. - Though, he's awful at marketing himself and updating his links 


TP:  What is your favourite piece that you've created and why?


DLW:  This - It was the first commission job I ever got for Moonstone. It took me 2 weeks due to insecurities and getting it down perfect. We worked together for a few months on one of their lines of miniatures. But if i was to do the same project today, it'd take 3 hours. How far we've come. - Also, it was the first time i ever worked with Shane. Though we wouldn't actually speak until 3 years down the line. But, It lit a fire in me, i realized how easy it was to make miniatures - coming from games, and how much less work it was for a hell of alot more dollar. 


TP:  Coming up with a piece is often an idea that gets written into a journal to come back to. How often do you find yourself working on one piece and another comes to mind and can you give an example?

DLW:  I don't have a journal or any kind of diary, to-do list or sticky notes etc. - Everything i do is kept mentally and if i miss something it's usually forgotten about, if no one reminds me, its not important, right? Probably not.. Anyway - i rarely forget about the stuff i'm working on as it all somehow links, I have about 6 projects on the go, Kickstarters, Patreon/Tribe, Client Work, My own TTSG, this interview. Its prioritized though, so some stuff is getting worked on, just slowly, as other things always get nudged above the others. 

For example.. 2 days ago, i started sculpting some kobolds. I didn't have kobolds planned, but then i decided to start a new kickstarter line. Thats pretty much how it goes with me. I'm a workaholic with some undiagnosed ADHD and the monthly releases with bits thrown in, is perfect for me. But I totally understand and have empathy with those who struggle with it. Especially when it barely pays the bills. - But this is another topic. 


TP:  What do you think is most inspiring about your miniatures and why?

DLW:  Honestly. I don t think they're anything special, and thats their selling point. They're generic, forgettable. I make bundles of encounters, - I make big fun pieces now and again, and funnily enough, noone buys them. So i don't make them and they're not my focus. I'd love for people to want my more fun pieces. But unless they're pin-ups or are exactly what they're looking for (for DnD) they don't want them.. + This is a 3dprinting market - we're all fighting against the grain. 


TP:  Where do you see your business taking you in 5 years?

DLW:  No idea, I want to continue what i'm doing. Kickstarters, miniatures, tabletop game or 2 with an expansion maybe. Who knows. We'll see what happens in the market between then and now.. I'm definitely on the right track, i think. But the market is turning, and its spooky to see. 


TP:  If you were given the time and opportunity to create anything you wanted what would it be and why?

DLW:  Most of the stuff i want to do isn't really farfetched. I have contacts in the industry to work wherever i want on whatever i want. I've worked on Lord of the rings, Fallout, Judge Dredd - I did go for a Games Workshop sculpting job in house, but the pay wasn't quite what i was looking for. Again, fiscally minded. - My future is more important to me than their miniature line, as cool as Bloodbowl was.. Currently in talks with Josh Kirby's IP to work on some discworld minis. I'm very happy. - I love discworld


TP:  Who do you admire in the fantasy community and why?

DLW:  Duncan Shadow  - The guy who inspired me to start a patreon. After seeing what was possible - while his work isn't really my cup of tea, the business side of it was very alluring to me. He was alot bigger back in 2019. But as more people muscled him out of the limelight, he fell back a bit. But he's still here. And its great. 

But, honestly. every hard worker out there trying to make it work for them. I have less respect for the huge ass teams dropping the quality of the models but putting out massive amounts and lowering the bar for everyone. 


TP:  What got you all into TTRPG's in the first place?

DLW:  I've never played a TTRPG - but i got into making miniatures by Tom Lishman - a phenominal artist. He got me into the industry working on the aforementioned moonstone, and while he stopped for a while doing freelance works working on manner of projects - he stuck with steamforged for a long time. And now he's moved back into games, currently working on sea of thieves. All round cool guy. 


No comments:

Post a Comment