Featured post

NEWS: Totally Pawsome Policies for Interviews and Reviews - Thundermouser

  Hail Mighty Readers and Rollers of the Maths Rocks, We love to interview people in the TTRPG scene so if you are in one of the following r...

Tuesday 11 July 2023

INDEPENDENT TTRPG MODULE/SYSTEM CREATOR: Amethyst Dragon

All DM's are creative writers to some degree, whether its going off track with a written adventure and having to create an emergency scenario either due to missing players or to help get the players back on track to the adventure they're playing.

Nathan (better known as Amethyst Dragon) is a DM who can do not only that but will also create modules for others to utilise, whether its something sparked by a song title or a selection of words, something will be triggered within and then taken fully explored.

Nathan was kind enough to take our interview and here are his responses...


Totally Pawsome:  As a creator of modules/systems for TTRPG's, what inspired you to write the one you're most proud of?

Nathan:  I'm a creator of all sorts of homebrew content, but modules and systems are one of the few things I haven't made yet.

For the content I make, I find and take inspiration from practically everywhere and from anything. I've made magic items and spells based on idioms (like letting the cat out of the bag, or crying over spilled milk), made an entire subclass because people mispell "rogue" all the time, took the idea of something costing an arm and a leg and made an encounter out of it, and I have made homebrews out of three unrelated words.


TP:  What would you say is the best selling point of your TTRPG's?

N:  I'd say the best selling point of the content I produce is that I make such a variety of things that everyone can find something they enjoy. Some things I create fit Serious Fantasy, while other things are definitely humorous. Everything I make is functional 5e content though, so GMs don't have to create mechanics to bring my content into their games.


TP:  Why the TTRPG space?

N:  TTRPGs have rules, but they are first and foremost games of imagination. You imagine what your character looks like, how they act, what they sound like, how they feel about everything. At the same time, you're imagining the world the GM and other players are describing. They're not limited by things like graphics cards, what's preprogrammed, or even if you've paid to play (because only one person really needs the rules and the entire group can participate).


TP:  What is your favourite product that you produce and why?

N:  I really don't have a favorite product that I produce. Anything I think I would enjoy playing, or using in my own weekly game, could be a favorite...but that's anything I've made. You could ask about any individual thing and I could tell you how I would use it or why I'd like to use it, but picking a single favorite (or even a dozen favorites) just doesn't quite work for me.


TP:  What is your current work in progress and what can you tell us about it?

N:  I have several things that are current works in progress. There are short, 1-day projects, and then there is the one thing I've been working on since late last year.

I have a giant list of content ideas that never really seems to get any shorter, even as I use ideas from it. I make new D&D 5e stuff several times during any week, and sometimes daily.

I am writing, formatting, and editing a full-sized D&D 5e sourcebook with almost all of my content for players and GMs. It's currently at over 350 pages, and I haven't added any artwork to it yet. The plan is to kickstart and publish it in 2024.


TP:  Who do you think would love to play your TTRPG's and why?

N:  I think anyone that plays TTRPGs, and D&D in particular, would love some (or dare I say all?) of the stuff I make. A lot of it is just plain fun, and most of it really could fit into almost any "generic fantasy RPG" setting. Even if a person doesn't play a 5e game, the ideas can certainly be adapted to work in other systems. I start with an idea before I get to mechanics, so there's a solid starting point for adaptation.


TP:  Where do you see your TTRPG writing career taking you in 5 years?

N:  In 5 years, I'd like to still be creating new content like I am now, but with the added benefits of seeing my book(or books?) for sale at stores or conventions, and my wife probably wouldn't mind this hobby turning into something that makes a little money through the book or through Patreon.


TP:  f you were given the time and opportunity to develop something unique, what would it be and why?

N:  If I had time and basically unlimited money for development, I think I'd set up non-profit gaming centers across the country that would have suitable space, tables, and materials so anyone could drop in and game for a very, very minor fee (just enough to maintain the facility and keep it running). TTRPGS, board games, card games, shared video games (like Mario Kart) where more than one person plays at a time, etc.


TP:  Who do you admire in the Independent TTRPG writing space and why?

N:  I admire anyone that puts their creativity out there for others to share in. It's one thing to make something for yourself, it's another to put it out there for others to see, use, critique, and talk about.


TP:  What got you into TTRPG's in the first place?

N:  I've been playing D&D since I was in 7th grade, when my best friend introduced it to me. Neither of us knew what we were doing at first, but it was fun anyway. It had swords, and magic, and dragons, and I was hooked.


No comments:

Post a Comment