Featured post

NEWS: Totally Pawsome Policies for Interviews and Reviews - Thundermouser

  Hail Mighty Readers and Rollers of the Maths Rocks, We love to interview people in the TTRPG scene so if you are in one of the following r...

Wednesday 12 July 2023

BLU-RAY/DVD REVIEW: The Pope's Exorcist - Sony Pictures Home Entertainment

RELEASE DATE:  22nd May 2023 (Blu-Ray)

PUBLISHER:  Sony Pictures Home Entertainment

SYNOPSIS:

Inspired by the actual files of Father Gabriele Amorth, Chief Exorcist of the Vatican (Academy Award®-winner Russell Crowe), The Pope's Exorcist follows Amorth as he investigates a young boy's terrifying possession and ends up uncovering a centuries-old conspiracy the Vatican has desperately tried to keep hidden.


REVIEW:

I've been looking forward to watching this for quite some time, I loved the trailer, I loved the idea of Russell Crowe taking on a horror role and I really wanted to see what a small cast would bring to the table as some of my favourite films have relied on this to bring a strong story of camaraderie to the fore alongside really helping make it an intimate film.

What I saw of this $18 million movie, had a good few problems.  Firstly whilst this story featured the name of a real person (Father Gabrielle Amorth, who is not only an exorcist but a prolific author with over 30 books) I felt that it would have been better had it been fictional, as you knew with the year it was set that Russell Crowes character was never under any threat which took away a lot from the film.  Then it felt a lot like it was shot on a set and in some of the scenes, you could tell that it was clearly Ireland and not Spain.  

Also add to this that it felt like the character was never sure whether to be a comedian or serious with some very dubious movie props (the latex mummified bodies which would have made more sense to have been skeletal and thus more frightening and I was left feeling that it really wasn't sure what it wanted to be.

Had I been writing the plot, I would have made the characters completely fictional, I would have changed the ending to be more ominous leaving the viewer asking questions and I would have moved the date to more modern times.  Finally as to the acting, it did feel that the various actors never fully realised their roles although I did love seeing Franco Nero as the Pope.

All round it was OK for an evening, but I would suggest leaving watching until it is on somewhere for you to watch for free rather than a rental.  

No comments:

Post a Comment