Featured post

NEWS: Totally Pawsome Policies for Interviews and Reviews - Thundermouser

  Hail Mighty Readers and Rollers of the Maths Rocks, We love to interview people in the TTRPG scene so if you are in one of the following r...

Friday 14 July 2023

INDEPENDENT TTRPG PODCAST/YOU-TUBE CREATOR: Ampersandboxttrpg - Alex Gonzales

 

When you're out and about or having to do journey time, you always want something that will help you relax and make your day a little easier, since podcasts have become something that everyone can access as well as create these days, finding something special to sit down with is now often a case of having to either go with recommendations from friends or occasionally stumbling across one whose humour as well as antics match your own tastes.


For me, I was lucky enough to come across Ampersandbox (available on Apple, Spotify and You-Tube) , a group of five friends whose antics and craziness really matches my own on the tabletop (you can join their discord here) so when I was lucky enough to get a word with their DM, Alex Gonzales, I couldn't wait to see how he'd tackle our questions...


Totally Pawsome: As a creator of podcasts for TTRPG's, what inspires you each time you sit down to record?

Alex Gonzalez:  Collaboratively working on a story that not only are we ourselves excited to tell but people can engage with is a huge driver for us. Plus, we all genuinely have fun at the table with one another and that makes the "production" of it all less daunting.


TP:  What would you say is the best selling point of your Podcast and what has people coming back for more?

AG:  I (Alex) absolutely believe we're some of the best roleplayers in the space, especially at our level. Not only can we get gut-busting bits in, but we can also tackle trauma, grief, conflict, etc. with sincerity and gravitas.


TP:  Why the TTRPG space?

AG:  All of Ampersandbox have had an extreme passion for the space even prior to playing together. Josh, Jacob, Brandon, and I (Alex) have been playing D&D with each other for about 6 years at this point. James has also been such a great addition to the group with all their experience DMing games, writing and publishing modules, as well as the content creation side of things. Without the TTRPG community/space, we wouldn't have even met James in the first place!


TP:  What is your favourite individual podcast that you've worked on and why?

AG:  So far, we only have 1 main show/podcast called "Venture into Vimuros". We all proactively make that show. We do have these mini-campaigns that I (Alex) lead using the SW5e (Star Wars 5e) system. I've done 2 of them so far Called Star Wars: Ascension and its sequel Star War: Redemption. We just wrapped Redemption about two weeks ago too! (Link to Redemption episodes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPJpB8IHjug&list=PLlnlIVfV_OdGI0kxJ4khEG2jhnkLxUAZ_)


TP:  With some podcasts being a little behind the actual play of the game what can you tell us about what you're up to now?

AG:  Our initial release was livestreaming the main campaign and then editing those down into audiobook style podcasts but we've recently made the pivot to focusing more on content creation on Youtube (https://www.youtube.com/@ampersandboxttrpg). We still do our livestreams every Sunday at 8pm EST but we've now also expanded into making other video content in the TTRPG space.


TP:  Who do you think would love to play your TTRPG's and why?

AG:  Currently James and I (Alex) are working on releasing both Star Wars: Ascension and Star War: Redemption as their own playable modules. So, anyone looking to live their Star Wars dreams away from the main canon can run wild with these stories I've written. I think that I have a pretty good handle on the mythos/universe of Star Wars so I hope these stories resonate with players. Follow our socials or join our Discord (links at end of email) for updates on that!


TP:  Where do you see your TTRPG podcast taking you in 5 years?

AG:  I (Alex) hope that we can use the show and podcast to grow the brand of Ampersandbox and become a legit TTRPG company. With my game design background, I want to try our hand at card games, board games, game modules, etc. all based on the world Josh started and the rest of us have built up together.


TP:  If you were given the time and opportunity to develop something unique, what would it be and why?

AG:  Personally, I (Alex) have always wanted to make a CCG. I grew up playing the likes of Magic the Gathering, Hearthstone, Cardfight Vanguard, and now Marvel Snap. I find all their formats amazing, and I think the greater world of Vimuros has the potential to make for an interesting game.


TP:  Who do you admire in the podcast community and why?

AG:  Believe it or not, I (Alex) don't actually listen to a lot of podcasts in the TTRPG space. I've always preferred the livestream of video format for TTRPGs. The podcasts I listen to and look up to the most are podcasts like "Stavy's World", "Dynamic Banter", and "Two Bears, One Cave". So pretty much exclusively comedian podcasts! "Dynamic Banter" for instance, has the most bonkers ad reads, props, and bits. Steve Zaragoza and Mike Falzone are responsible for a lot of my choices as an improvisational player at the table.


TP:  What got you into TTRPG's in the first place?

AG:  I've (Alex) always had a fascination with TTRPGs but aside from maybe 3 sessions, I never had a regular group to play with. It wasn't until Josh put out the feelers that he was looking to DM a long D&D campaign that I started playing at least once a week since like 2018. I was hooked from session 1! There is truly no game, in my opinion, that can scratch the itch that a TTRPG with your friends can satisfy.


No comments:

Post a Comment